In case you missed it, the Saint Mary’s men’s basketball team earned a come-from-behind 70-58 victory over the University of Utah last night in the first round of the NIT. SMC now travels to top-seeded University of Minnesota for a Sunday game at a time (& TV network) to be determined.
Below are a few links from around the Internet you might find interesting:
- Utes blow late lead, finish season with first-round NIT loss to St. Mary’s – Deseret News
- Saint Mary’s rallies past Utes in NIT – The Salt Lake Tribune
- 2nd-half surge powers Gaels into 2nd round of NIT – San Francisco Chronicle
- Saint Mary’s rallies, stuns Utah in NIT first round – Contra Costa Times
- Stiffing comeback helps SMC beat Utah, stay alive in NIT – SMCGaels.com
- Forced to sit, Holt gets assist from teammates – SMCGaels.com
- Game Highlights, Interviews – SMCGaels.com
- Photo Gallery – SMCGaels.com
A few postgame notes that might have been overlooked in SMC news stories:
- Saint Mary’s extended its home win streak over non-conference opponents to 28-straight games, dating back to the 2011 NIT loss to Kent State.
- SMC moved to 16-3 at home this season. The 16 wins ties a school record for most home wins in a single season, tying the 2011-12 team’s 16-1 mark.
- For the second time in program history, the Gaels won a first-round postseason game in consecutive seasons. SMC also won its 1st games in the 2009 NIT and 2010 NCAA.
- SMC has seven postseason victories in program history. Six have come since 2009 (6-5 during that stretch)
- Stephen Holt moved into 10th on the school’s career scoring list with 1,346 points. He is 44 points away from 9th-place Steve Gray.
- Matthew Hodgson had four blocks last night, one shy of his career-best at SMC. He moved into 12th on the program’s career blocks list with 59, one shy of Frederic Adjiwanou and Norm Kelly for 10th.
- Saint Mary’s has won 3-straight home games against Pac-12 opponents (Utah, Washington State & Oregon) – the only three home games against teams from that conference since 2003.