The day fans of both Saint Mary’s and Gonzaga men’s basketball have been waiting for is here… Valentine’s Day! Love & Hate & Rivalry all rolled into one 40-minute McKeon-fueled cauldron of intense competition.
With a national ESPN2 television audience and a sold-out McKeon Pavilion watching, the Gaels and Bulldogs revive what many consider currently the best college basketball rivalry on the west coast. Tipoff is scheduled for 8 p.m. with Dave Flemming and the incomparable Fran Fraschilla calling the action.
A couple of items before we post links to some of the pregame coverage around the internet:
- Arrive early. Not just early… waay early. With night classes back in session and a couple of other events on campus, parking is sure to be a challenge.
- Doors open at 6:30 p.m. If you have a general admission or student ticket, it will fill up quickly.
- Gael Force students remember, you must already have a ticket (they’ve all been distributed) with YOUR NAME written on the back when it was assigned and your student ID. In addition, priority seating locations will be for Gael Force members wearing their official shirt (with a couple of creative exceptions).
- The SMC Almuni Association is conducting a pre-game party in Madigan Gym. RSVP today or purchase a ticket at the door by clicking here.
- Gael Force will be conducting various pre-game hype activities outside McKeon beginning at 5:30 p.m.
- Those students who were NOT fortunate enough to receive tickets can watch the game live in Dryden Hall on campus. Gael fans in Moraga are encouraged to visit Pennini’s, while a crowd of SMC fans in Walnut Creek will watch the game at Stadium Pub.
Now, here are a few links to keep you occupied for a while:
- WCC’s top two set for another classic battle – SMCGaels.com
- Bulldogs can take giant step toward regaining WCC title – GoZags.com
- Plenty at stake when Zags, Gaels meet – Spokane Spokesman Review
- Saint Mary’s focuses on defending WCC crowd, not Gonzaga national ranking – Contra Costa Times
- Saint Mary’s hosts Gonzaga in title chase – San Francisco Chronicle
- Best in West Coast Conference: Gonzaga, Saint Mary’s meet in California – Seattle Times
- Gonzaga, Saint Mary’s with Valentine’s Date for first place – Examiner.com
- Saint Mary’s in peaking entering 10-day stretch that will determine its season – Yahoo! Sports