With today’s DIRECTV Classic games starting in just a few hours, here are a few notes and links you might be interested in:
- ESPN.com published a list of eight players to watch at the DIRECTV Classic, which includes a nice description of Saint Mary’s guard Matthew Dellavedova.
- SMC’s new radio man Alex Jensen caught up with Beau Levesque and Stephen Holt yesterday after practice. Check out the interview on SMCGaels.com.
- Stephanie Hammon of the Contra Costa Times came out to practice this week to visit with James Walker III for this feature that was posted yesterday afternoon.
- John Crumpacker of the San Francisco Chronicle published this Cal-focused preview of the tournament. He said what many people hope, that a Saint Mary’s vs. Cal final would be intriguing.
- Here is a link to the SMCGaels.com preview, complete with links to live coverage and other Gaels-related content.
- The DIRECTV Classic will be televised by ESPN. Visit WatchESPN.com for links and telecast information or to watch the game online. Live statistics will be provided by ESPN.com.
- The Gaels’ only other appearance in the DIRECTV Classic came in 2008 (it was called the 76 Classic at that time). After losing to Texas-El Paso 75-62 in the opening game, the Gaels rebounded with wins over Cal State Fullerton (79-54) and Providence (81-75).
- Depending on results in Thursday’s first two games of the day, Saint Mary’s could play future West Coast Conference rival Pacific twice this season. The two teams could play in the second round of the DIRECTV Classic in Anaheim and will meet in Moraga on Dec. 19. Pacific will be a full member of the WCC starting this summer.
Thursday, November 22
· Game No. 1 – Pacific vs. Xavier, ESPNU, 11 a.m. PT
· Game No. 2 – Drexel vs. Saint Mary’s, ESPN2, 1:30 p.m. PT
· Game No. 3 – Rice vs. Georgia Tech, ESPNU, 6 p.m. PT
· Game No. 4 – Drake vs. Cal, ESPN2, 8:30 p.m. PT