SAN BRUNO, Calif. – The West Coast Conference recently came out with its Men’s Soccer Season Review which featured several Gaels after Saint Mary’s won its first WCC title and made an run to the NCAA Tournament’s Elite Eight. The Gaels would be eliminated by the eventual national champions, the Tar Heels of North Carolina.
Saint Mary’s Head Coach Adam Cooper Discusses Winning on the Road in the NCAA Tournament: http://youtu.be/KoH3IdgLhNc?hd=1
WCC Quick Hits
- Saint Mary’s made its second ever NCAA Tournament appearance and advanced to the Elite Eight before falling 2-0 at No. 1 North Carolina, the eventual national champion. Along the way, the Gaels won 1-0 at Cal State Bakersfield, 2-1 in double overtime at No. 7 UC Irvine and 3-2 in overtime at Brown in the Sweet 16.
- Seven WCC men’s soccer student-athletes were named to NSCAA All-Far West Team. Second team honorees from the conference included Malcolm Alugas (D, Saint Mary’s), Erik Hurtado (F, Santa Clara), Doug Herrick (GK, Saint Mary’s) and Stephen Posa (F, San Diego). Mykell Bates (D, Santa Clara), Dan Delgado (D, San Diego) and Steven Evans (F, Portland) were named to the third team.
- Saint Mary’s senior defender Tom Mohoric was the WCC Player of the Month for November. Mohoric helped the Gaels to a 6-1 record in November. He scored the game-winner at Cal State Bakersfield in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. His second goal of the postseason came at Brown in the NCAA Sweet 16, sending the match into overtime.
- Santa Clara senior defender Mykell Bates was invited to to participate in the 2012 adidas MLS Player Combine. The annual player combine will be held in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., January 6-10.
- San Diego junior MF Dan Delgado was named the WCC Player of the Year. This is the third consecutive Player of the Year honor for the toreros (Ryan Peterman, 2009; Patrick Wallen, 2010).
- Portland sophomore Ryan Kawulok is the WCC Defensive Player of the Year.
- San Francisco junior Brendan Roslund is the winner of the first-ever WCC Goalkeeper of the Year award.
- Gonzaga’s Clark Phillips garnered WCC Freshman of the Year recognition.
- Saint Mary’s Adam Cooper was voted WCC Coach of the Year by his peers. This is Coach Cooper’s second Coach of the Year honor (2009).